Country Bread Recipe
4th Sep 2018
"Be aware of the humidity, very damp days mean you may need slightly less water in your dough as your flour may be damper." - Matt Tomkinson
The smell of freshly cooked bread can make a house smell like a home. Have you had the delight of tasting the country bread at The Terrace? You can now make the delicious bread in the comfort of your home.
- 1500g Granary Flour (HOVIS)
- 750g T55
- 187g Unsalted Butter
- 72g Caster Sugar
- 70g Salt
- 107g Fresh Yeast
- 1100g Warm water
- 30g Black Treacle
- Mix the flours with the salt and butter and place in the large mixing bowl.
- Mix the water with the yeast, the sugar and the black treacle until dissolved.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flours and using the dough hook mix on speed 1 until combined (approx. 3 minutes)
- Increase the speed to 6 for 4 minutes and then remove from the machine.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and prove in a warm place until doubled in size (approx. 1 hour) be careful not to over prove
- Turn out the dough and divide into 500g portions.
- Shape into bloomer loaves and flour.
- Place on non-stick lined baking trays (2 per tray) and place in the Prover (65oc)
- Prove for approx. 25 minutes until well risen NB. if over proved this dough will collapse
- Bake in a 210oc oven 40% steam for 7 minutes and then turn down to 190oc No steam for a further 10 mins.
- Remove and cool on the rack and then when cold wrap in cling film.
- Freeze with a three month shelf life in the pastry freezer.
Try our Country Bread for yourself at The Terrace restaurant.
Book your table