The Montagu Arms Hotel is located in the beautiful village of Beaulieu, surrounded by the glorious scenery of the New Forest. It has four stars and The Terrace Restaurant offers guests Michelin-starred fine dining at its best with a menu designed by innovative head chef Matthew Tomkinson. Monty’s Inn is a family pub and bar linked to the hotel, offering traditional country fare in a relaxed and warm atmosphere alongside excellent wines and local ales.
The role of Operations Manager/Deputy General Manager is a key role at the Montagu Arms, reporting to the General Manager. You will have direct responsibility for overseeing the day-to-day running of the hotel, whilst working closely with all Heads of Department to achieve an outstanding guest experience. The role will require excellent communication, teamwork and adaptability as well as the ability to manage, motivate, and develop the various managers and departments. The role will also include some duty management responsibilities.
Main responsibilities are:
- Complete control of the day to day Operations of the hotel and hands on approach
- Managing the Heads of Department, regular job chats, discipline where required etc
- Maintain and enhance our hotel and guest standards to create wow factor consistently
- Working closely with GM in controlling cost or expenditure
- Working closely with GM to bring and improve revenue streams
- Conducting monthly team and operational meeting with actions
- Creating a happy and motivating working environment and team
- Ensuring a safe working environment - working closely with the company H&S consultant
- Training the team where required
- Analysing and planning changes within the SOP and putting new SOP’s to enhance guest experience
- Supporting all Heads of Department in day to day operations
- Supporting GM with various projects in achieving 2 Michelin star and Red star
- Being completely in charge of the hotel in the absence of the GM
- Supporting the GM to maintain the building, furnishings and other physical properties of the hotel
- Working closely with the local community and building rapport
- Always available in the operations/checkout process as face of the hotel
- Preparing reports and spreadsheets for various aspects of the business, assisting in preparing the budget, helping GM with P&L, planning the career progression of the team and the structure of the team with in the department
At least 2 years’ experience in a four/five star hotel is required or relevant experience of working at Food & Beverage Manager or Assistant Manager level. The role would suit someone with a strong F&B background, who is an adaptable team player with proven leadership qualities. As you would expect, ensuring that our guests receive the highest standard of service is the most important role for the Operations Manager/Deputy General Manager. The successful candidate will be well-presented, have a keen eye for detail and possess first class communication and customer service skills.
The position is full time, with a rota operating on 5 out of 7 days per week. Transport is an advantage to reach the picturesque village of Beaulieu and it is a good base to explore the South Coast. The hotel is situated 6 miles from Brockenhurst Village and train station with excellent rail links to Bournemouth, Southampton and London. The New Forest is a lovely setting with ponies, deer and other animals roaming throughout the Forest and its villages, and beautiful surroundings.
If you are an experienced and ambitious manager, hardworking with high standards of guest care, then we would love to hear from you.
We offer benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Use of award winning spa facilities at Careys Manor (our sister hotel)
- Meals on duty
- Training and development - we offer the chance to work towards a qualification if you are interested in progressing your career
- Perkz staff discount scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
Please apply with a CV and covering letter to Sunil Kanjanghat, Montagu Arms Hotel, Beaulieu, New Forest, Hampshire SO42 7ZL. Tel: 01590 612324 Email:
The Montagu Arms Hotel is owned by Greenclose Ltd; also in the group are Careys Manor Hotel and SenSpa, Brockenhurst and The Imperial Hotel, Llandudno.