General Enquiries 01590 612324
Bedroom Reservations 01590 624467
Distance: 4 ½ miles
Time: Approximately 2 hours
- To get to the start of this walk, it is necessary to make a short car journey. Leave Beaulieu on Palace Lane. At the T-junction, turn right onto the B3056, heading towards Lyndhurst.
- After about 6 miles you will reach an entrance on the left where you will see a car park. If you have reached the camp site, you have gone too far, the entrance before this is the one you will need to park your car.
- From the car park, you have to walk through the campsite (with the road behind you). Head for the gravel track on the northernmost side of the campsite.
- Go to the north-eastern corner of the campsite where you will see a low Forestry Commission barrier. Follow the track to enter Matley Wood.
- Follow the track through Matley Wood for about 500 metres. After this the woodland will end and you will enter onto Matley Heath. Stay on this track for about half a mile, walking in a north easterly direction
- Eventually you will reach a small stream, the path will return to gravel. You will see a bridge; cross this bridge and continue on the track.
- Walk past the gate into Deerleap Inclosure on the left, and keep on the main track running parallel to the Inclosure. After half a mile, there is a right turn where you will be able to see the Deerleap car park. Turn here.
- Ignore the fork off to the right. The main track goes down a dip, over a small stream and towards a pine inclosure. When you reach the corner of this enclosure DO NOT carry straight on. Take the track to the right.
- You should now be on a sandy track. The pine inclosure will now be on your left.
- After 600 metres, once you have beard round to the left. You will come to a very definite junction in the track. The main track will carry on round to the left; however you need to go round to the right.
- Travel on this track for a few hundred metres, and you will eventually reach a cross roads. The track you are travelling on will go left. Carry straight on, leaving the track you were on and follow the grassy/sandy track instead.
- The path should drop down a hill. Go down this hill and go diagonally left. The raised railway line should be close to you on your right.
- This narrow path should take you across a small heath to a small patch of woodland. You will see a small wooden bridge which you need to cross and head under the railway through the brick arch.
- Go straight ahead and after a while there will be an obvious track to the right. Go down this track.
- This track will take you over a small bridge. Head left up onto the grassy area.
- Go across the grass towards the woodland in front of you. This is Matley Wood and soon you will be able to join back onto the track that you originally travelled down from the campsite.
- Once back onto this track, continue back to the car park.
© 2014 The Montagu Arms Hotel
The Montagu Arms Hotel, Beaulieu, New Forest, Hampshire. SO42 7ZL
Tel: 01590 612324, Fax: 01590 612188
Central Reservations: 01590 624467